Geopolitics of the Black Sea-Caspian Region: Political and Economic Security in a Complex Geopolitical Environment.

Tbilisi, Georgia

Monday, July 16, 2012

The Traveler and the Couch


And then there were six. Last week we said goodbye to a lot of people. All of the California students that were with us, along with one of our American cohorts. They traveled back to Istanbul and the US, while a small group of American students have stayed behind to start internships for the remainder of the Summer. I have been placed with Transparency International Georgia, and even in this first week I have learned a tremendous amount. Most likely I'll be doing my own research project on Internet Use and Freedom in a Transitioning Country. I think Georgia is a great country to study because they have had their revolution back in 2003, have been modernizing and democratizing their government systems, are looking to engage the Western world, and their path has been full of lessons which can be passed along to other young democracies within the world. Transparency International Georgia has been at the forefront of the NGO community in Georgia as well, exposing the media industry for its inclusiveness and the monopolistic control of one man over media advertising. It pushed for must carry/must offer laws during the pre-election period which just passed parliament, and it documents property rights of citizens within rural areas where government projects and construction companies have taken over lands worked by farmers for centuries. A strong NGO community is needed in these transitioning countries so apathy and a lack of action do not create a quick return to past behaviors.

Unfortunately for me and my klutzy self, I have been unable to attend any rallies, protests, or meetings as I have been confined to my couch for the past 3 days, without even a good story to tell you! I sprained/broke a toe on my left foot last week by kicking a chair in our new apartment before going to bed, so I had been compensating by putting more pressure on my right foot, until Friday when I woke up with a sore arch, and significantly more pain as the day progressed. I have been unable to put weight on the right foot for a few days now, and the doctor has confined me to "Bed Rest." Seriously. I have jumped off a 30ft trapeze swing into a river in Laos and survived, and just by the simple act of walking! I break my foot.

Luckily before disaster struck, I was able to see more of Tbilisi last weekend than I had during our classes. After returning from Baku we had more free time and we were able to go out exploring. Our first stop was to climb up to Narikala Fortress which overlooks the city. The fortress was first built in the 4th century and consists of two walled sections and the rebuilt St. Nicholas Church. Walking through the gate you realize just how thick the walls are that protected citizens of Tbilisi for centuries. You can walk along the top of the walls and look out over the entire sprawling city and river.






Further up the road is Kartlis Deda or Mother Georgia, a statue commissioned in the 1950's to commemorate Georgia's 1500th year. The statue is of a woman dressed in traditional Georgian attire. In one hand she holds a cup of wine to greet her friends and in the other hand she holds a sword, to greet her enemies.





After a day of exploring old Tbilisi we decided to relax in the sulfur baths in front of the mountain. I've never had a bath experience, but having your own private room, great black tea, and a sauna was amazing. 



The following day we explored the market which spans an entire park. The market holds everything from original paintings, old soviet relics, crystal dishes, tea sets, chandeliers, and jewelry. I hope this foot heels up and I am able to explore that again :) 



No comments:

Post a Comment