Geopolitics of the Black Sea-Caspian Region: Political and Economic Security in a Complex Geopolitical Environment.

Tbilisi, Georgia

Monday, June 4, 2012

Georgia on My Mind

While some of my colleagues have already left for an adventure in Istanbul, I still have three days to contemplate my impending trip to Georgia and the surrounding region. While the last time I left this country I meticulously planned and packed accordingly, I find that this time around I am procrastinating and letting things play out as they come. Perhaps I am more comfortable with the prospect of leaving the country this time around, or it may be that I welcome the chance for some open-air adventure after my first year in grad school, with my nose stuck in a book, has come to an end.

What is absolutely true is I am looking forward to learning more about and experiencing a region that will be very important in the future. The Caucasus serves as a bridge between Asia and Europe, as well as Russia and Persia. It is a crossroads of Christianity and Islam, with a long history of conflict and cooperation between the multiple ethnic and religious groups. The discovery of oil and natural gas in the Caspian Sea and surrounding countries only adds to the importance of this region's development. This Summer is sure to bring a better understanding of the power politics in play throughout the region, but also a high respect for the people throughout the Caucasus who have only recently started to enjoy their independence. I am looking forward to many long dinners with my colleagues and new friends, Gaumarjos! (Cheers!)

No comments:

Post a Comment